Student Info

Getting Started - New Graduate Student

New Graduate Student Orientation

Our 2020 New Grad Student Orientation took place on Tuesday, September 29, 2020 at 8:30 am (PST). If you were unable to attend, you can review the recording here. (Links to an external site.)New ECE Graduate Student Orientation 2020

Our 2021 New Grad Student Orientation will take place on Tuesday, September 28, 2021. Stay tuned for more information! 

Advising Office

The Advising Office is located in the Paul Allen Center ECE Main Office, AE 140. If you have any questions, please make an appointment here (for current ECE students only) or check-in at the front desk. Drop-in advising hours are posted on the ECE Events Calendar (dates subject to change).

The slide presentation for the Initial Advising Sessions are here for you to reference any resources or links discussed: 2020 New Grad Student Advising Session.

Computing Account

All ECE graduate students are required to set up an ECE Computing Account for access to department-supported computing services, including access to ECE computing labs, printing, use of department licensed/donated software, and support from the ECE Computing Staff.

Grad Student Mailboxes

Graduate student mailboxes are located in the graduate student mailroom, next to the ECE Main Office on the first floor of the Allen Center. Mail is delivered both late morning and late afternoon. Only business mail should be delivered here.

Building Use and Student Offices

Students should apply at the Main Office Reception Desk AE 100R, to have the Husky ID cards coded for building and lab/office access. Students need to be registered before applying for the coding.  Students should see their faculty advisor regarding location of their lab or office, and details about having a space in the lab or offices.

Degree Information

Please refer to the Ph.D. & MSEE Requirements and Procedures webpage for information, procedures and deadlines on the Master's Degree and Ph.D. Degree.  Students are responsible for knowing the procedures and deadlines.


At least one credit of EE 500 (max. of four credits), which is the Departmental Colloqium is required of all students and is offered each quarter. This is a good way to become familiar with recent EE research and to find out about EE faculty from UW and from other institutions.

See this website to to learn about the various independent study options and procedures.

To maintain graduate status, a student must be enrolled or must be on official On-Leave status for every quarter except for summer. See the Advising Office for on-leave forms and procedure. Fulltime students and students holding assistantships must be registered for a minimum of 10 credits/academic quarter.

Selecting a Faculty Advisor

All graduate students should select a Permanent Faculty Advisor with complimentary curriculum focus and research interests within the first quarter or two of study. If you are being funded on a Research Assistantship and/or Teaching Assistantship, the faculty who offered you the RA/TA will serve as your faculty adviser. 

Faculty advisors are required to be members of the Graduate Faculty and be endorsed to Chair PhD or MS supervisory committees. In addition, faculty must be adjunct assistant professor or higher to serve as a faculty advisor. It may be necessary to discuss your plans and interests with more than one faculty member before you find a good match. Once mutually agreed upon, students are to notify graduate academic advising.


Students who are eligible may apply for Washington State residency after one year of study. As quickly as possible after arriving in Washington state, students should get a Washington Driver's License, and if US Citizens, change your voter registration, and keep records of lease/mortgage payments. Then, after 12 months, if eligible, students may complete and file the required Residency Petition forms. For further information, contact the UW Residence Classification Office at 264 Schmitz Hall (206) 543-5932.

Return to Current Graduate Student Page

Updates or corrections to this page should be sent to

ECE logo