PhD Degree Requirements and Procedures
Please read this entire page carefully, noting all requirements and deadlines. It is the student's responsibility to see that all requirements are satisfied and deadlines met.
ADMISSION TO THE PhD PROGRAM
Students who are first completing an MSEE in the department may enroll in the PhD program as of the first quarter after completing the MSEE, pending approval of their continuation request.
SELECTION OF FACULTY ADVISOR
Students should have a faculty advisor within the first year of study, and should notify the Advising Office both when a faculty advisor has been determined and if there is a change of advisors. Faculty advisors must be members of the University of Washington's Graduate Faculty and must be endorsed to chair doctoral supervisory committees, per the Graduate School's Memo 12.
- The department requires faculty advisors have a full-time primary, joint or adjunct appointment in EE.
- EE affiliate faculty or Graduate Faculty from other UW departments may co-advise a graduate student with a faculty member who has a full or joint appointment in EE.
The following are degree requirements for PhD students set by the University of Washington Graduate School and the Department of Electrical Engineering:
- 90 credits as a graduate student, of which at least 60 must be completed at the University of Washington. (With the approval of the degree-granting unit, an appropriate Master's degree from an accredited institution may substitute for 30 credits of enrollment.)
- 18 credits of graduate level course work with numerical grades must be taken at the UW prior to scheduling the General Exam.
- 1 credit of EE 500 Seminar. 4 credits of EE 500 may be appliedy towards the degree.
- A maximum of 5 credits of EE 599 may be applied towards the PhD degree.
- 30 credits of EE 800 Dissertation
over a period of at least 3 quarters beginning the quarter after passing the General Examination.
- A minimum grade of 2.7 is required in each course that is counted toward the degree.
- A minimum GPA of 3.00 is required for graduation.
- Students must be registered as a graduate student for any quarter in which an exam (Qualifying, General or Final Examination) is to be scheduled.
- Students must maintain a minimum registration of 2 credits for the quarter that the degree is earned.
For additional information, please refer to the Graduate School website.
Return to Graduate Student Page