Operations > Computing > FAQ

How to Request a Static Wired IP Address

This only applies to physical, wired networks. The wireless network in the building is controlled by UW-IT; contact them regarding any wireless allocations.

Please make sure you first have all of the information below, and then send an email to help@ece. Static IPv6 addresses are also possible, though UW-IT switch do not support IPv6 very well.

The system will need to have its IP address assigned statically. Important network details will need to be filled in, which computing staff can help with.

SSH (TCP/22) used to be open by default, but too many research systems were being hacked. SSH will only be opened if asked for. Please ensure that the SSH daemon is properly secured and the system properly maintained if you need to have SSH open to the Internet.

ECE logo